...waiting...

Friday, September 14, 2012

The Nature of Waiting

In this season of the unknown, I have been led to reflect on the nature of waiting. Psalm 27 says that we are  to "Wait on the Lord. Be of good courage. Wait on the Lord. And He shall strengthen your heart."

I think society, and if we are honest - our human nature, is uncomfortable with waiting. Waiting is what you do before a meeting with a friend. Waiting is what you do when you are in line. Waiting is what you do for the bus.Waiting is what you do when you can't do anything.

But is that really true?

Scripture tells us that "waiting" is not inactivity; waiting is an activity. Waiting is a choice, not a consequence. Waiting implies intention, even in inaction. Waiting is a decision, not a default motion. Waiting, is an act, of hope, not hopelessness.

In short, waiting is doing something. The choice to wait, is in and of itself, a choice. It is not indecision; it is a decision. To hold out for something...or someone...is to decide for that thing or for that person.

So when I choose to wait, I choose to hold out for, to hope for, God. For His plan for me. Even if I feel that I am doing nothing, I am doing something: I am waiting.

No comments: