...waiting...

Monday, August 27, 2012

Lessons from kids: Part 1

 After three years of analyzing, over-analyzing, theologizing, over-theologizing (is that possible?), reading, writing, re-writing, editing, proofing, learning this and that theory and approach (think counselling focus of degree), this summer found me with an unexpected gift: a reminder of life's simplicity, as seen through the eyes of kids. The more time I spent with the kids the more I was reminded of things I had forgotten, and instead of me being the teacher, I became the student. Without further ado, or in the kid-language: here I go:

1) Life is fun, especially when you expect it to be fun. How often do I show up at events, dreading various parts of the evening, or already having thought ahead to what I can say, or can't say. By the time I get there, my mind is made up about whether I will have a good time or not. And usually I have decided for the "not." But everyday without fail this summer, North Club kids showed up (even early) ready and expecting to have fun. They looked for the fun in the activities we were doing, and in doing that, they found the fun. (Or maybe even made the fun?) Enough said.

2) Celebrate the small stuff. I remember being reminded of this when I was in Honduras. It is not that I know God's care for me through the big things of my life - but it is through the small little, everyday occurrences that are particular to me, that show His care and love for me. Therefore, nothing is too small to thank Him for, or to ask Him about. We can pray for everything from fly fishing, to friends in school, to grandma's health. All of it. Every last thing.

No comments: